Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Background -Part I

     Terry's Chemo Chronicles is intended as a means of keeping my family, friends, coworkers and others updated with my status as I journey through my battle with Cancer.  This journey began back in February of 2010.

     Before the boring medical stuff, here's some boring stuff about myself.  I was born in 1959, which made the majority of 2010 the year of the big Five-Oh.  My career  of the past 25+ years  is IT; early days of programming in DOS-based environments (Clipper/dbase/C), UNIX/Linux/AIX  system administration, some networking and a whole bunch of general 'computer stuff' til now.   I tended to work some longish hours as is the norm it seems for this industry.

     In the latter part of 2009 and early January 2010 I noticed some weight loss, and fatigue.  The fatigue I attributed to the job.  The weight loss I attributed to my regimen of carrots/celery/almonds/raisins for lunch and fewer sweet treats from the local Tim's coffee shop.  I was completely wrong of course, but my annual physical appointment was scheduled for February, and as my visit just the past year showed nothing abnormal I was not overly concerned.

     As with any physical there is the obligatory blood work.  As with the turning 50 thing, there are a couple of other tests that are routinely performed on males. For the record, the prostate (notice the lack of the letter R ) was not an issue.  What was an issue were the results of my blood report.  My doctor's first question to me was if I was a vegetarian, something that took me completely by surprise.  It turned out that my B12 and Iron were extremely low. More tests to follow.

     One of these tests  I took is also an 'age 50' test, although not bound to just males.  It is the Fecal Occult Blood test, where you get to participate in your own medical testing suite (ok, it's the bathroom).  The shiny foil envelope  with your selected samples is delivered to a local lab, or dropped in the mail, and in a short while you get a call from your doctor.   In my case it was concerning the traces of blood in my samples.  A positive sample like this leads directly to the next age-50 test: the Colonoscopy.

    Much as been written about the Colonoscopy  procedure, and Dave Berry's article about his procedure is the one I suggest every reluctant male (it's always men who are most afraid) should read.  It made me laugh.  My colonoscopy was scheduled for March 26th.  Interesting to note that in the weeks prior to my test there were live tv shows of brave journalists undergoing this process for their audience, the aforementioned Dave Berry article humouously portrayed the process and in general, I was not too concerned.

    March 26th I bravely faced down my fears, and clad in the armour that is standard hospital issue (I got to wear my socks however) I was soon undergoing THE procedure.  Well, I awoke to hear my doctor discussing my situation but I don't remember much. What I thought I heard was 'cancer'.  As awareness reinstated itself, I found that the exam could not be completed due to a constriction in my colon.  It was so small the probe could not get through and there was serious concern that food particles would block the colon. My diet  for the next week and a half would consist of nothing but pureed food. A sample had been taken from me and sent for a pathology report, and on March 30th I would meet with the doctor to discuss my situation.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Terry, thank you so much for thinking of me. I truly enjoyed reading your blog about your accounts with cancer, and especially your perceptions of and humour with your endeavours. I'm sure you are well aware of the value of humour, and I laughed out loud at a few of your anecdotes! So happy to hear/read that you are doing realatively well with your chemo treatments, and I see that you have learned a few lessons as well, such as, less is good!
    Keep writing Terry, you answer the questions that a lot of people are afraid to ask.
    Please know that you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers, and we both wish you and yours a blessed, safe, and non-nauseous Christmas Season.
    Looking forward to more news, and really hoping that 2011 will be the year you can shout "I BEAT IT"

    Sincerely,

    Donna

    ReplyDelete