Monday, March 7, 2011

Turning the corner

     February is spent, winter's icy hand has buried us in snow the likes we have not seen in more than a decade.  The upside it gets me out of the house and shoveling, and that constitutes exercise.  I don't mind Winter, it's the prolonged sameness that wearies me.   Winter is snow. And more snow.   And more monotonous snow.   Even work is more exciting than Winter.  Speaking of work..

    My official return date will be March 21st, 2011, basically one week shy of  a full year since I've been off.   The plan is to return to work on a part-time basis four hours per day, with the resumption of full time hours by  May 1st.  I wonder if they'll let me keep my nap time hours between two and four PM?

     Returning to work should signify my return to health; a resumption of normality.  My family and friends (and yes, even my coworkers) are thrilled at this prospect.  However I find that I do not share the same degree of elation as my friends.  It requires a five-year clean bill-of-health to be declared 'cancer free', from that viewpoint I'm only 20 per cent completed.  I've expended so much of my energy fighting this disease that it's hard to shift focus, to step down and re-orient myself to the larger world.  Cancer was the centerpiece of my life for one year, and it defined who I was.  Now I need to become myself once more, but perhaps a bit more appreciative of the gift of life and what it offers.

   Life is getting better, the winter blahs are almost over, the days are brighter and the promise of spring, as always, is  the promise of Hope.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow Terry, returning to work that awesome. Well I guess depending on how you look at it, lol.

    Sorry I haven't stopped over yet, not going to give any excuses either. I will eventually. I ran into Karen the one day on my way out of the doctor's office.

    Hope to see you soon, glad to hear you are doing better.

    Take care!!

    ReplyDelete