Thursday, March 8, 2012

How to celebrate Leap Year

     February has an extra day this year,   resulting from 2012 being divisible by 4 and  not 100.   Even with 29 days,  February is still the shortest month of the year.  Short or not, I was busy with my medical  follow-up procedures.   Just because I am healthy and back to work doesn't mean the Cancer has quit and gone away.

     I had,  in order of appearance:  a Port flush, bloodwork, a visit with my Oncologist and a visit with my Surgeon.   My only cause for anxiety would take place on the 28th of February.  On that day I was a volunteer.  For a Chess Tournament.  With lots of kids.

     First however I started off the month with the routine of Port Flush and B12 shot.   By now the port flush is second nature, I never even feel the needle and the blood returns have been working like clockwork.  The port has remained unused for its original purpose of delivering chemo for well over a year.  During this time I've returned  to work, and resumed much of my old weight.  (a good and bad thing..)

     Bloodwork is a quarterly procedure, tied into my doctor visits.  Every three months I visit the lab at the Cancer Centre, where they draw samples that look for the magic numbers that hopefully spot any potential return of  cancer.  So far my bloodwork  has been just great, my CEA value is <0.5 (non smokers above 3 might be concerned).   I will continue this process of getting my blood checked every three months for another two more years.  Should  I have five years of 'no cancer' I'll be considered a 'survivor' and 'cancer free'.   I have a goal.

      I usually do the blood test a few days in advance of my medical visits, so my doctors will have the results by the time I'm scheduled to visit them.  This time was no different, and  on February 23rd I was once more at the WRCC, filling in my ESAS report.   The ESAS report is done on a touch-screen computer, and starts off with you swiping your Health Card (or in my case, typing the number in, as the card is so old and worn it won't swipe).   A series of questions is presented, asking you to rate your response with a value form 0 (great, perfect) to 9 (horrible, worst).   All my numbers were 0 (best) save the one about 'Anxious'.  I scored it a 1, as I am seeing an Oncologist after all!

     Just before the oncologist sees me however, a nurse takes my weight - I'm 188 pounds now - I've regained most of my pre-cancer weight.  As mentioned before, that's both good and bad.   Once the weight is taken, I'm led to the little room where the doctor will check me over.   My Doctor arrives, and after I hop up on the paper-covered exam couch, the formal part of the check up begins.

    My neck is checked, this is relatively new for me, as I had colon cancer!   Turns out she's interested in the IVPort, and asks if I want to have the port removed soon.   The exam continues in the familiar pattern, the abdomen and  pelvic areas are checked, I'm ticklish but that's about it.  My scars from the surgeries have faded.  It's almost as if this experience has never happened.  She glances at the paper with my test results, and the comments that my blood work is better than hers.  I guess that's a good thing!

    My exam concludes with the news that my Oncologist for the past two years will be handing my case to one of her associates.  I will always be glad for the confidence and hope she brought to my journey.  I'll never forget the first time we met to discuss my course of treatment:  "We're going for a cure".   No guarantees were made, but I had hope and I needed to hear that back when my prospects were bleak.

    One day later I had my follow up with the Surgeon who did my Liver surgery.  I was prepared for this visit:   I brought my computer, MP3 player and an Android tablet.  The wait for this extremely thorough doctor was on the order of two hours.   A ten minute exam culminated with a decision to book another CT,  just routine.   So far I seem to be getting a CT every eight months or so.  Perhaps I will see if they can reduce the frequency before I start resembling the luminescent hands of a 1960's clock.

    By now my routine follow-ups are just that:  routine.  Gone are the trepidations and nervousness of the early days of my struggle.  No more am I defined by what I could not control, but now what I do control.  It's a pretty good feeling,  being confident that there's another day to look forward to.

    Finally the Longest Short Month of the last four years draws to a close, and I find myself in another adventure that fills me with Trepidations and Nervousness:  the volunteer experience,  that of being an amateur chess arbiter for a local chess tournament.  On the horizon I have a CT exam for sometime in April, and if all goes well I can plan to have my IV Port removed.  Closure to Cancer is fast approaching,  I'm glad I'm doing it on my terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment