Sunday, March 2, 2014

Family Day

     A few years ago the province of Ontario announced that one day in February would become a civic holiday known as 'Family Day'.   I like civic holidays, as I usually get to sleep in.   Unfortunately this February the  holiday fell on Monday, February 17th.  No sleeping in for me that day, I was to meet my newest doctor.

     Back in October of 2013 my Oncologist  mentioned that I was due for my three year follow-up Colonoscopy.   An appointment was made that coincided with that particular February Civic Holiday.  Now a cold Monday morning finds me at my new doctor's office for my 8:30am appointment.  So much for sleeping in on a  holiday.   Meeting a new doctor means being prepared to go over not only my current  medical conditions, but past history,  and family history too.  It helps to have a list of all the meds you're currently taking.  It also helps when a family member, in this case my sister, fills you in on all the details of your parents medical history.   Both my parents had two incidents of cancer in their lives.  Both my parents died of cancer.  A detailed family history can make a crucial difference.

     Past experience has taught me that the 'patient waiting room' means be patient in the 'waiting' room, so I bought along my usual entertainment device: eReader and tablet.  I was ready to wait!

     However a deserted waiting room greeted me when I arrived that morning.  I suppose people were taking advantage of that sleeping-in-on-a-holiday thing.   The receptionist verified my health card and mentioned that some places were now refusing to accept the old Red and White OHIP cards.  My card is held together with tape,  the magnetic strip is scratched and unusable, the numbers are faded.  It's been with me through all my medical adventures,  but today it served me once more.

    Registration continued with paperwork for me to fill out:  my medical history, my current meds, allergies...all the usual questions. Except for Crestor and Vitamins D and B12, I take very little in the way of medicine.  Once completed I sat down for perhaps two minutes before I was ushered into the medical examination room.   I would wait a couple of more minutes before the doctor arrived.

     When he arrives, we chat about my current condition, why I am referred to him, if I notice any changes in my bowel or general health.   He asks about my Cancer and the treatment I received, and seemed surprised that I had liver surgery for the metastases.  I recount my  history and family history  There's a routine examination, and I'm up on the table being 'poked and prodded' once again.   Nothing apparently out of place and I'm headed back to the receptionist to confirm an appointment for the Colonoscopy exam.    I'll be scheduled for the next week, on February 26th at 08:40am.

     My appointment confirmed, my prescription needed to be filled:   laxatives and the preparatory agent know as Purgeodan.  In my past I was always prescribed Colyte for this process, I wonder what the differences will be.   I arrive at my usual pharmacy and discovered that they couldn't fulfill my prescription that day.  Although it was filled by the next day, it is advisable to not wait til the last minute.  Now all I need to do is plan the days until 'the main event'.

     For myself the dreaded 'purge' day actually takes a bit of planning menu-wise.  In general I've followed my old regimen to gradually reduces the food intake and the type of foods consumed prior to the purge.   In general it goes something like this:

     -No blood thinners / aspirin a week before the test

     -soft foods three days before the test, and no fibre/nuts,  things like scrambled eggs, mushy foods

     -two days before the test was full fluids:  plain yogurts, cream soups, nothing that you actually chew.  No fruits in the yogurt either!

     -one day before the test -the day of the purge is clear fluids only: so clear chicken broth and jello,  black coffee or tea, and those jello's better not be red or blue!

     The idea was to reduce the fibre and solid food intake, hopefully keeping lots of fluids in you for the day of the purge.  Gatorade was suggested to keep the electrolyte levels up.   Jello is suggested to fool you into thinking you're eating something good.   I only eat Jello when I have to,  sadly that summertime staple is now firmly associated with Hospitals and ("unfun") procedures.

     One week before my test and I've had my prescription filled,  and menu planned.  My work schedule is cleared and I have two days to concentrate solely on my health.  I'm as ready as I can be.    I've done this before, so not concerned about the procedure.   The only thing that matters is the results.    In seven days I'll go through a twenty minute procedure.   Twenty minutes that may change a life forever.

     In all likelihood I won't be conscious during the procedure.  Where else can you say that doing nothing for twenty minutes is the best thing you can do for your health!?  I just hope I don't sleep in that day!

No comments:

Post a Comment