Monday, February 22, 2016

Biopsy and Bone Scan

   Friday, January 29th I received a call from my oncologist's office:   I was booked for a Bone Scan on Monday, February 1st.   This was unexpected, and I felt that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.   Two weeks prior I had a tooth pulled, and my dental surgeon had sent a sample away for a biopsy.  My suspicion that the two events were related would soon be proved correct.

  Monday February 1st I arrived at the hospital for my third bone scan.   Still using  crutches because I'm wearing a half cast on my left leg.  A knee brace is on my right knee.  I manage to crutch all the way from the hospital entrance to the nuclear medicine department.  My poor health shows in my huffing and puffing.  I feel extremely weak.  Concern for my breathing prompted the techs to give me Oxygen, and I was put on a bed while waiting for my procedure.  My  breathing concerns were conveyed to my oncologist, and I was given an X-ray and blood work.  Fortunately my O2 saturation was 99% and my lungs showed no pneumonia.   I'm just incredibly out of shape after two months of doing nothing more active than sitting on a couch. With the concern for my breathing resolved, I was ready for the bone scan procedure to begin.

 The bone scan is done in two phases:  first an injection of a mild radioactive tracer is given.  A wait of about an hour is required for the tracer material to wander through your system.   You're encouraged to drink a lot of fluids during this time. During the interval between the injection and the actual scanning, I met with my oncologist.  After assuring me that my breathing and oxygen were OK, I was ready to continue with the remainder of my bone scan procedure.

 For approximately one hour I would remain flat on my back while the procedure slowly took place.  Pain was radiating from my lower left hip and back.  All I could do was endure, weary of yet another test that would only result in negative outcomes.   Nearly one hour after the scan commenced it finished, and I was able to finally sit up and massage my aching back.  Exhausted by my morning exertions I would return home, to rest and wait for the results.   My wait wasn't long and the news was what I dreaded to hear:  the cancer had spread.

 In 2010 I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Colon Cancer, with metastases in my liver.   In 2014 it had returned to my colon.  In 2015 it manifested in my left lung, and later in my left shin bone.  Now in 2016 it had rampaged through my body:  my left jaw, lumbar spine, thoracic spine, right hip, and right ankle.  By far the worst was my jaw.  A biopsy performed on my pulled tooth two weeks prior confirmed that it was from colon cancer.  My gums were being split,  and forming ugly growths that cause growing discomfort day by day.   A large single dose of radiation to relieve the discomfort and pain was the proposed remedy.   There is no cure, it's simply about pain control and quality of life now. 

  My pain is two-fold:  physical and emotional.  For the physical I take Tylenol-3's.  For the emotional I have anti-depressants prescribed by my family doctor.  Pills alone do not suffice, I also have counseling from my social worker.  I can't cope on my own, and the reality is I'll never be independent again.

In the days that followed my bone scan I would see my Dental Surgeon, talk with my  Social Worker,  and visit the Fracture clinic.  My leg cast would initially be reduced, allowing me to bend my knee. Later the cast would be removed entirely and I would be fitted with a walking boot.  But my immediate goal is the upcoming radiation treatment for my jaw.  The growing pains in my body are tenuously held at bay by a handful of pills.   It won't hold the pain back for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment