Monday, November 8, 2010

Mending Fences

     An opportunity presented itself this summer to gather all three brothers together for the first time in several years.  Just the brothers, no other relatives.  A time to reconnect.  A time to forgo the usual routine that happens at traditional family gatherings.  A time to mend fences.

Old fence. 
     I speak of a literal fence.  The one at the back of my driveway.  The one that was so badly in need of repair that even birds were afraid to sit on it lest it collapse on them.   Yes, my privacy fence 'twixt the street and back yard was so far gone that  an ill-tempered butterfly could probably knock it down.   I had looked at replacing the old fence last summer.  I watched 'This Old House'. I read about fences on the internet.  I knew what to do.  I called for help.   Let me explain why:   Power Tools.

     Man is distinguished on this planet by his ability to use tools.  Opposable thumbs are the characteristic which puts tool using into the forefront.  Apparently two thumbs means one can use tools.  Unfortunately I have 10 thumbs.  Ironic that the phrase "all thumbs" is the antithesis of a tool users.  So using Power Tools may actually 'cut down' on the number of thumbs and fingers I actually possess, and other, less-frequently-used-but-still-desirable body parts.  My brothers are competent at building stuff, plus they work cheap:  for beer.  Plus they brought their own beer.

     Building a fence was an opportunity for me to reconnect with my brothers.  Cancer doesn't know how to have fun, but my brothers do.  This visit was not about comforting a relative with Cancer, it was simply about family. 

A scene reminiscent of 'Witness'?
    
     It was a perfect July day, not too hot, little bit of a breeze, and lots of sunshine.  Neighbors who wandered over (all guys wondering if they should be bringing tools...) were greeted in true Northern Ontario hospitality:  with beer.  The fence building progressed, albeit slowly, with lots of breaks.  The real reason of course was to visit with the big brother.   By the end of the day the job was done.

A thing of beauty, and reminder of better times to come.
     My role in this project was "supervisor in charge of lawn chairs".   My role in the family will still continue to be 'Big Brother'.  Hopefully for a long time yet!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment